RFID stands for Radio Frequency Identification. The technology enables contactless identification via alternating magnetic fields.
Compared to other identification methods such as barcodes or magnetic strips, RFID offers many advantages.
- Rapid identification of moving objects.
- Several information carriers (transponders) can be read simultaneously.
- Secure technology with almost no possibility of remote spying.
- Maximum security when used with contactless smartcards.
- Easy to install and integrate.
- No special optics or positioning needed for the transponder.
- Passive transponders do not need a battery.
- Transponders are compact and inexpensive.